- Business Law; Civil, EPC and other Construction Contracts;
- Employment and Collective Bargain Contracts, Executives and Workers Expatriation;
- Civil, Commercial and Labor Liability;
- International Trade and Business Strategic Advice and Negotiation;
- Dispute Resolution (Arbitration, Mediatios and other ADRs) and Litigation;
- Regulatory and Compliance;
Cristiano Holanda Travassos Corrêa is partner at MMA Advogados and coordinates the São Paulo office.
He has an extensive practice in corporate, commercial and labor law and is very active on the strategic dispute resolution, with experience in complex and strategic judicial disputes, arbitration and mediation. Cristiano assists local and multinational companies in disputes from key industries, such as oil & gas, energy, construction, real estate, international trade, telecom/technology, infrastructure, mining, health and food & beverage industries.
His experience also comprehends the provision of advisory services to corporations, joint ventures and consortia on executives, technicians and professionals expatriation, technical assistance agreements, EPC and construction contracts, acquisition transactions, covering due diligences, negotiation, negotiation of collective bargains agreement with workers unions, drafting of commercial contracts and corporate instruments, among other related activities. Among his clients, there are EPC Contractors and Service Providers for oil platforms, FPSOs, UPGN and pipelines, power plants and mining infrastructure projects.
Between 2005 and 2008, Cristiano was an associate lawyer at Tess Advogados, working with commercial, civil and labor dispute resolution cases and corporate-related matters and. In 2008, he joined MMA Advogados, as a senior associate lawyer.
Cristiano became a partner at MMA in 2011 and between 2013 and 2014 acted as the managing partner for Brazil, under the cooperation agreement between MMA Advogados and the US global law firm, Haynes and Boone.
He has a great experience in handling cross-border legal consulting and litigation matters, liaising with global foreign law firms and auditing companies with worldwide operations.
Articles and Publications
- Author, “Depósito Recursal” (“Appeal Guarantee”), SEBRAE/Distrito Federal, 2007
- Author, “Penhora Online” (“Online Seizure”), SEBRAE/Distrito Federal, 2007
- Author, “Lei Complementar 123/2006 - Análise e Repercussões” (“Complementary Law 123/2006 - Analysis and Repercussions”), SEBRAE/Distrito Federal, 2007
- Speaker at the event sponsored by the American Arbitration Association, "The International Arbitration Debates:" Should a bankruptcy filing in either Brazil or the United States prohibit the continuation of seated arbitration in either Brazil or the United States? ", November / 2013
- Interviewed for Merger Market on "Reporting congressman rejects hurdle for M & A in Brazilian mining code; juniors to benefit from new financing instrument - lawyers ", November 2013
- Speaker and author, “A Eficácia das Cáusulas de Take-or-Pay nos Tribunais Brasileiros” (“The Eficacy of Take-or-Pay Clauses in Brazilian Courts”), article presented on the Rio Oil & Gas conference, 2008
- Speaker and co-author, “O Brasil no Investment Grade: A Suspensão do Poder de Controle Como Meio de Preservação da Eficiência Empresarial da Companhia” (“Brazil’s Investment Grade: The Suspension of the Power of Control by Means of Preserving Business Efficiency of the Company”), article presented on the Latin American Forum, Internacional Bar Association, Buenos Aires, October 2008
- Speaker, “Operações Societárias” (“Corporate Transactions”), Universidade Candido Mendes, October 2008
- Speaker, “Análise do Instituto da Prisão Civil nos Contratos com Cláusula de Alienação Fiduciária” (“Analysis of the Institute of Civil Prison in Contracts with Clause of Fiduciary Alienation”), Universidade Estácio de Sá, September 2002
- Specialization course in Corporate Law, Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV), 2008
- MBA in International Law and Economy, Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV), 2008
- B.A. in Law, Universidade Estácio de Sá, 2002
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de Janeiro
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), São Paulo
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Minas Gerais
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
- Brazilian Institute of Corporate Governance (IBGC)
- Leading Lawyer in Energy & Infraestructure – Latin America, IFLR 1000/Petroleum Economist/IJGlobal, 2014.
- Leading Lawyer in Energy & Infraestructure – Latin America, IFLR 1000/Petroleum Economist/IJGlobal, 2015.
- Leading Lawyer in Energy & Infraestructure – Latin America, IFLR 1000/Petroleum Economist/IJGlobal, 2016.
- Leading Lawyer in Energy & Infraestructure – Latin America, IFLR 1000/Petroleum Economist/IJGlobal, 2017.
- Leading Lawyer in Energy & Infraestructure – Latin America, IFLR 1000/Petroleum Economist/IJGlobal, 2018.
- Leading Lawyer in Energy & Infraestructure – Latin America, IFLR 1000/Petroleum Economist/IJGlobal, 2019.